Poison & Children

Children are particularly susceptible to poison, both in its consumption and the speed in which poison can be carried around the body due to their small size. This is why you should always be vigilant with any chemical household items. Whether it is cleaning detergent or a bottle of shampoo, each one has the potential to cause harm to a child. Accidents can happen but as long as you take the proper precautions, then the poisoning of your child can be prevented. This is a topic medical toxicologists are continually researching, as it is an area of great importance.

Potentially dangerous chemicals around the house

Though you may not know it there are likely several items around your household that have the potential to cause harm to a child. They include the following products:

  • Medicines.
  • Vitamins.
  • Herbal remedies.
  • Alcohol.
  • Batteries.
  • Tobacco.
  • Poisonous plants.
  • Cleaning detergents.
  • Face wash and shampoo.
  • Bleach.

The list is endless, which is why you must always take care where you keep such items.

How to prevent your child from being poisoned

The following steps may seem obvious, but you would be surprised how many people fail to follow them:

  • Ensure toxic substances such as bleach are locked away. Children have a crafty ability to open the wrong cupboard.
  • Many toxic household items have child-safe openings, but you should still ensure they are kept away from a child’s reach.
  • Ensure not only households items are kept away safely, but also pesticides and other products you may use in the garden.
  • If your child has to use medication, ensure that you are in charge of it and their dosage.
  • Check the date of any medication you are giving to your child.

If you believe your child has been poisoned

It is a horrible realisation if you believe your child has been poisoned. Symptoms will vary according to what has caused the poisonous response, but you should look out for the following signs:

  • Try and ascertain what the poison is. There may be an open bottle of medication close by.
  • Nausea.
  • Dizziness.
  • Irritation to the skin, possibly around the mouth if a chemical has been drank.
  • Respiratory difficulties.
  • Pain.
  • Increased heart rate.
  • Sweating.
  • Headache.

If any of the above symptoms become apparent then you should consider it a medical emergency. Urgent medical help will be required. Children have smaller bodies, which can allow the poison to circulate quicker than with adults, which is why you should be quick in seeking medical attention.