Poison & Prevention

Poison is no longer merely a province of the natural environment, but is often a result of the countless industrial chemicals that are created and distributed in society. These are not dangerous when handled correctly and with care, but accidents do happen. Many chemicals have the potential to hinder the way your body works by interfering with the way nerves and synapses operate, and this can be deadly. Prevention is often the best way to ensure you do not suffer the consequences of poison, as antidotes are still harder to come by than you may realise.

Poison

When a toxin or chemical interferes with normal body functions this is known as a poisonous response. Such responses can be caused by the intake of poison through swallowing, inhaling or absorption. By inhaling or ingesting a product that was not meant to be, such as shampoo or paint, you can be poisoned. These are products that were never meant to be consumed and have presumably been done so by accident, although attempted suicide is sometimes a possibility. There are also chemicals that can be poisonous but which you are able to consume in limited doses, such as over-the-counter medications and alcohol. A poisoned response can also be caused by bacterial toxins such as food poisoning. One other way that a person can be poisoned is by being stung or bitten by an animal or insect, such as a snake or mosquito.

Symptoms and affects of Poison

The affects of a poison on the human body are varied, and there are still many poisons of which the consequences are uncertain. There is a link between some medication and the deterioration of the liver, there are some poisons that affect metabolism, opiates have been linked to respiratory difficulties and there are some that can cause fatal seizures. A snake bite can cause swelling, intense pain and even death. Other typical symptoms, if you have been poisoned, include a headache, sickness and spasms.

Prevention

Illness or death caused by poison is something that can be prevented, but is still something that occurs none the less. An improvement has been made mainly due to better packaging supplied with products. In order to prevent being poisoned you should ensure there are no plants or animals in your house that are poisonous, or that they are safely kept away. Also, household chemicals and medications should be locked away and consumed according to the recommended dosage. Do not use out-of-date medication, be careful if out in the natural habitat of an animal known to be poisonous, always wear gloves and eye protection if dealing with toxic chemicals and do not take unnecessary risks. Although it may seem obvious such prevention techniques are often left undone.